A Small Charles II Oak Chest
The three-panel lid, retaining the original pin hinges, above an exceptionally deep top rail, which is boldly carved with a trailing “S” motif, and symmetrical whorls, and retains the original iron lockplate. The two panels have a lozenge carved centre, with stylised tulip heads coming from the pointed ends. The stiles, muntin and bottom rail are all decorated with a flat run-moulding, with punched decoration.
Gloucestershire/West Country, circa 1670-80.
Width 42 inches, depth 18.5 inches, height 22.5 inches.